Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Any network pro's out there?

I have a comcast cable modem (with voip built in) that is connected to my linksys wireless G router, which is hardwired to my desktop. I also have a Toshiba laptop that connects to my home network wirelessly. I have NEVER had issues with connectivity--until I brought home a new laptop the other day. From the get-go, I could only connect to my network with this new laptop, NOT the internet. I would have to sit there and disconnect and reconnect over and over, for minimum 20 minutes, before the web connection would stick. I'd get it, then lose it instantly...over and over. My toshiba would still connect flawlessly but the new Asus would only give me local, limited connectivity; the connection would stop at my network and there is the big, red X between the network and the web. It's driving me nuts! I thought about the whole vista thing but the Toshiba laptop has Vista and I've never had a problem. Now, just today I purchased a new router..(my old router was a 5 year old, linksys wireless G) a linksys rangeplus suited for G and N connections. I set up a whole new network, new security key, etc. I turned on the Asus and, after entering my security key, I connected all the way to the web and it stayed strong and lightning fast. I thought the problem was resolved, until about an hour ago when I turned on the old faithful Toshiba laptop and suddenly, I lost the Asus connection (it went back to limited access) and the Toshiba wouldn't connect to the internet either!!! I lost BOTH. I had to turn off the Toshiba, switch the wireless slider thing off on it, etc. I connected to the internet on the Asus with a neighbor's unsecured network, just to see if it was my laptop...I connected fine!!! Once I waited a bit after shutting down the Toshiba entirely, I tried reconnecting to my own home network and viola, the Asus is back on my own network and on the web just fine. So can anyone tell me what is going on? I am so frustrated and feel so helpless! I know only the basics of networking; I have NO CLUE what to do! I have experienced the IP conflict thing years ago when I put a wireless card in a now-nonexistent desktop and I changed the last digit of the IP address to a ';2'; on that desktop and it fixed the problem...but I was also working on XP and knew how to change it. IF this could be the case here, how does one change it on Vista? I have dug and dug through everything and I cannot find where I could change it...oh, and I have the laptops set to ';automatically obtain'; IP and DNS things. I apologize for my ignorance but I really don't know that much about networking at all, hence my utter frustration!Any network pro's out there?
this is certainly a discrepency internally on ur network,, wether it be from IP MAC,, to some sort misconfiguration on a device... in no means at no time should a router allow one device to speak at a time,, can you check that the router is in auto/auto or 100/1000/full... can u check that all interfaces on the host PC's laptops are in auto/auto... allowing the router to speak bi directionally... also please verify all MTU settings in the router i believe the default is 1500... u change the IP settings on Vista in the same fashion but with more clicking and confirming,,, due to the new security system,,, u can get to the interfaces from network and sharing center ,,, right click and select properties as you would on XP.... another thing to watch is to be sure that 2 interfaces are not enabled on ur hosts more so than anything the wireless and wired at the same time... Vista will choke on this..it appears.. if all else fails statically assign the 3 PC's an IP on the network using the proper settings and turn DHCP off on the router...





aaron@jvnetworks.net


systems/network consultant


Unix/Linux, Windows Server 2000-03, Cisco/JuniperAny network pro's out there?
Wow... it sounds like interference/conflict.. but that would make that NETGEAR a waste of money if the case was that you can only connect one at a time to it... try connecting both to it.. when you get the limited or no connection error msg.. go to the command prompt under start--%26gt;run--%26gt; then type ';cmd'; into the box. from there type..


ipconfig /release.. then press enter.. then type..


ipconfig /renew.. then press enter.. then see what happens.. FYI this is almost always my last resort... hope that helps.. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment