Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I need help with my home network setup?

I'll try to explain this as best as i can...





My PC has two Ethernet ports... I have one ADSL router by NetGear (with 4 ports and wireless) and one single port SHDSL router/modem which is connected to one of my ports for my internet access. The other port is disabled because when I plug it into my ADSL router I lose my internet connection.





My wife has a PC and I ideally want her to connect to the same internet connection I am using somehow (be it through my PC or somehow configuring my NetGear router) to enable us both to use this SHDSL connection together and also be able to share files with each other over a LAN.





If that is not possible I would love to know how to set up my PC so that I can have my internet through one port on my SHDSL modem and then my other port going to my NetGear router that is also plugged into her PC so we can file share (without my internet getting cut off when I turn that port on).





I am using Vista Ultimate and she is using XP Pro.





Please ask if you need more info.I need help with my home network setup?
A couple of additional comments on setting up your home LAN





1. You cannot use 2 active routers on the same network. They will both try to control the network - it just won't work





2. Your network setup should look like this





Internet %26gt; modem %26gt;%26gt; router WAN Port





Router LAN Port #1 %26gt;%26gt; Computer #1


Router LAN Port #2 %26gt;%26gt; Computer #2





Have the computers set up to obtain IP addresses and DNS servers automatically


That should let you share the internet





3 File Sharing


MS just HAD to make Vista different. In order to ';see'; the XP computer from the Vista machine, you must go to the MS website, Search LLTD and download and install the LLTD utility so that the XP machine is visible.


Then you just follow the standard rules for file sharing


Make sure file and print sharing is enabled


Make sure you are in the same work group


Make sure you have set the folders you want to share to shared





Good LuckI need help with my home network setup?
Generally the best way is to have the modem go to the router, then have the two PCs connected to the router.








The router will have an uplink port for connecting the modem to it.








You can setup internet sharing and go;





Modem ------------ PC1 -------------- PC2











To share files on the network you need to create a workgroup name that is the same for both PC.





Once that is done you enable file and print sharing on both PCs then create a folder that is shared. Depending on your login setup on both PCs you may need to create user accounts that match on both PCs. So if you log in the Hubby and She logs in with Wifey. Then both these accounts need to exist on both PCs. Same username and pasword. Then u add these accounts to the permissions for the shared folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment