Friday, August 20, 2010

What printserver should I use in a 16 outlet prewired home so you can print from any one of them.?

My father in law asked me to set up a print server in his house. His house has a 16 port switch set up in a cabinet in their game room where the cable modem is (they don't want the printer there). The 16 outputs are wired throughout the house to jacks in the wall. His printer is in his bedroom hooked to a laptop which he takes with him. He wants it so he or his wife can print from any computer in the house to the one printer in his room. I cant just simply 'share' the printer because he takes his laptop with him so I'd have to somehow connect the printer to the network directly. They also don't have wireless yet so I'd like to install that as well. Two of the PCs now have Vista on them which I've had wireless issues with in the past. If you were me, and he said 'money is not an issue', what router/printservers would you suggest and how would I hook them up with the existing network?What printserver should I use in a 16 outlet prewired home so you can print from any one of them.?
If you don't know what your doing, why are you undertaking the task? Simple solution would be buy a wireless router that has a print server built in. Kills two birds with one stone.


In terms of hooking it up. Plug a cable into the wall outlet, and stick the other end into one of the switchports on the new router and your away.


Anymore questions, email meWhat printserver should I use in a 16 outlet prewired home so you can print from any one of them.?
Check CDW, Linksys, D-link, Office Depot and Staples. They all have print servers you can connect to the network and the printer.


They work like this:


the print server has a IP address


You point the printer driver on each computer to the IP address.


Each computer gets to print to the printer from any point on the network


The print servers come with setup software you install on each machine. It's pretty painless

No comments:

Post a Comment