Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I add laptops to a server through a wireless network?

I have little experience with networks and servers so please bear that in mind...





I have a network set up in the office. The server is running Windows Server 2003. Any wired computers on the network are running Windows XP. I now want to add laptops to the network. The laptops are running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have a wireless router added as I want the laptops to connect wirelessly. I connected the laptops to the wireless network and I can browse to folders on the server. I have internet access.





My problem is that I can't make changes to the laptops from the server. I cannot get the laptops to run logon scripts from the server. Or change the home folders of the laptops etc. The laptops are on the same domain as the wired desktops. I've also added the user profiles of the laptops to Active Directory as users. It still doesn't work. I don't understand why. It's really been bugging me. All the wired desktops (running Windows XP) can be controlled/altered etc from the Server. Can't understand why the laptops won't work this way if they are connected to the same network.How do I add laptops to a server through a wireless network?
You are not going to be able to make this work if you are really running Vista Home Premium as it can't join a domainHow do I add laptops to a server through a wireless network?
make sure the laptops are set to share files. which they aren't out of the box. also make sure they have remote assistance turned on and make sure the wirless security is turned on on the router in which case you will need a password from the router to get each computer online again but it will be secure and once that has been done turn SSID off for even more security
  • business loan
  • hot myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment