Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Printer sharing problems on network?

I have two computers (Comp A and Comp B, both with Vista Home Premium) and they are connected to a networking hub via cat5 cables. The hub is connected to a modem. Both computers can go online, but only Comp A that is directly connected to the printer can print. When I go to the Networking/Connections window of Comp B, I can see Comp A but I can not access it to add the printer to use on Comp B. It tells me that the it can not find the network path or something similar.





So,


A) Do I need to setup a LAN to be able to use the printer on both computers?


B) If so, how do I do that? I have looked everywhere I can think of, but all I can find is setting up a wireless network, but that is not what I have or want.





Any help would be appreciated, if anyone needs more info, just ask.Printer sharing problems on network?
Well you already have a LAN (local area network).


I work as a tech support for Sony Vaio computers. What I do to share the printer is,


- Go to network and sharing center from the control panel.


- Under sharing and discovery make sure everything is on except for password protected sharing. (Has to be like this in both computers)


- After that, try to use the printer on the computer the printer is not connected to.


- Install the drivers for the printer, you could even print a test page.


- Then, go to System in Control Panel.


- Click on change settings and go to change the workgroup name in both computers. It has to be the same in both.


- Restart the computer.


- Go to Printers in Control Panel.


- Try to add a printer.


- See if it works.





If these does not work, try calling the manufacturer either of the printer or the computer





Hope the steps helped you
  • business loan
  • microsoft
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment