Monday, August 16, 2010

How can I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop?

My desktop uses Windows XP and my laptop has Vista. Using an ethernet cable didn't work, and my desktop does not have wireless. The amount of data I want to move is upwards of 40 gigs thanks to a large media library, so e-mailing it to myself piece by piece would be ridiculously time-consuming. Same with a flashdrive, as I only have a one-gig memory stick.





When I asked at Best Buy, they said my only options were to set up a home network or to try the data transfer cable designed to go with Vista. I have a home network available (it's what I'm using for my laptop's internet), but so far I can't get my laptop to recognize the other computers on the network. The salesperson said that she wouldn't reccommend using the data transfer cable either, as it had a reputation of hardly ever working.





I'm not completely technologically incompetent, but if your suggestion is a complicated process, I'd appreciate detailed intructions. Thank you!How can I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop?
A relatively simple solution:





Install a wireless router to your Cable or DSL ';modem';.





I recommend the D-Link Dir-655.





Plug an Ethernet cable from the Desktop to the wireless router.





Now you have a LAN.





If you already have a LAN such as the one I'm describing, skip the part above and start here:








Right click on the my computer icon on either system and set Workgroup name to (whateveryoulike). Now use the exact same name for the other system.





Create a username and password that is allowed Administrative access and IDENTICAL on both Computers.





Now RIGHT click on a folder(I usually create a C:\Temp for this) in the Vista system and click on SHARE. Right click on a folder in the XP system(create C:\Temp on this one too), click on properties and click on share.





Now reboot both systems and wait 5 minutes or so.





Both systems should be able to see one another and the shared folder(s) across your network now.


Now you can copy any files from either to the other, at speeds of 100Mb/s or 248Mb/s depending on your Ethernet card in your desktop.





Once you are done with this you should hang on to the wireless router and use that to share your Internet connection between the two systems.How can I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop?
Thank you for choosing my answer as the best one. I appreciate it.

Report Abuse



external hard drive... other way, use remote dekstop.. go to START %26gt; Help and Support %26gt; Search for REMOTE DEKSTOP... it will show you the procedure
Follow these steps carefully:





1. On each computer, go to Start, Control Panel, System, and then clickon ';Computer Name';.


2. Change the Domain on each PC to something like your last name. Even if they are already named the same thing, do this anyway.


3. Restart each PC.


4. If you have Norton, disable it temporarily on each PC.


5. On each PC, right click on MY DOCUMENTS, and click ';sharing';. Enable sharing.


6. This may require a restart, but shouldn't.


7. Go to My Network


8. Click on View Network Computers.





You should see each computer. Now simply copy all the files and paste them into the other PC's folder. You can also, highlight them and click and drag them into the folder.





Hope this helps.
I have a special USB to USB data xfer cable for use between VISTA and XP.


I got it at Fry's Electronics in Phoenix AZ for $20.00. It works





OR via network -





If you have both PC's connected conected the the same router, it is possible to share files between the two, but it can be difficult setting up. You need to ALLOW ';FILE SHARING'; of the folders you want to xfer.





In XP - Open Windows Explorer and RIGHT Click on the Folder you want to SHARE. Click on Properties then go to the SHARING TAB. Read the info there and it should be clear what you need to do.





NEXT STEP -





For the NETWORK to work correcty each computer has to have a different name. HOWEVER the 'WORKGROUP' NAME, MUST BE THE SAME on both computers.


This can be checked and changed in Control Panel - System Properties - Computer Name TAB - on XP.





To test the connection Ping the other PC's IP ADDRESS.


Start - Run - type ';CMD'; ok


in the DOS window type IPCONFIG /ALL


take note of the IP ADDRESS - mine is 10.2.1.61 on one pc and 10.2.1.62 on the other. The IP address's should be the same except for the last octet.





in the same window type - ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. the IP address of the other computer. If the ping fails you do not have a connection.








Once you have met all the above conditions you shuld see the other compter's name in Windows Explorer under MY Network Places --- then all you do is drag and drop -





bill





askbillnow@yahoo.com.au
If you're using an ethernet cable to directly connect the two computers, you *must* use a cross-over cable. The normal, straight-through, ethernet cable won't work.





Once they're connected, share the folder on one machine and map it on the other.
if you really dont have a choice buy an external hard drive! the one plugged in usb. its not completely a waste you can use it in the future right?
if u already have home network, that mean u can connect to each other.


go to network place see if your computer/laptop can see each other or not. or u can try map network drive by right click on it. make sure both your computer in same workgroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment