Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Obviously, not too technologically savvy...need wireless network help!?

Okay, here's my (home network) setup. I have TimeWarner Roadrunner Broadband running through a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have a desktop (with wireless adapter) running Windows XP (sp2). I have a Sony Vaio running stupid Vista. I used to have it set up to where the wireless connection was unsecured and that made me nervous, so I went through the steps to secure it using WEP. It is working on the Vaio, but not on the desktop anymore. In order to get a connection on the desktop, I have to physically connect the wireless router to the computer. WTF? Before I secured the connection, everything worked peachy. I could even print wirelessly from the notebook! I could see my desktop on our little network! But I wanted it secure (although I realize WEP is not impenetrable, better than nothing, right) and as soon as I did it, it was fubar. ARGH. How is it that I can build our PC from scratch, but not set up a freakin wireless network...any help appreciated!Obviously, not too technologically savvy...need wireless network help!?
Since you changed your WEP key, you must tell the computer that you did it as well.





Go to start%26gt;%26gt;Network Connections%26gt;%26gt;select the wireless network in your house (will say ';Unconnected';)%26gt;%26gt;select ';repair connection';





This should pick up your new WEP key. If it does not ,email me and I can tell you what to do.Obviously, not too technologically savvy...need wireless network help!?
okay here goes try going to router an there is reset button on back lil red use a pin press it 30 sec while it is on this reset setting to default (like new) then reset router by going to comp that is connect thru lan ethernet an use cd


also use not wep to set up wireless use wap much better


more encription 128 bit in stead of 64 bit


http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2%26amp;childpagename=US%2FLayout%26amp;cid=1166859837401%26amp;pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper%26amp;lid=3740141396B07
Did you go into your network properties and re-enter your key? Sometimes I've had to do that with Vista.





Also, try the diagnose button in Vista, sometimes it's something so obvious it's overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment