Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How to share files between XP and vista?

i have never ever set up a network so that files/printers can be shared by computers on the same home router. I have a laptop with vista home, and i have a desktop with XP professional. I have been trying to set up a network so that i can transfer files from my laptop to my desktop.





I made a network on my desktop and named it MSHOME. I changed my network setting on my laptop so that it is private, and turned on all the options under ';sharing and discovery'; on the Network and Sharing page. I am not sure what to do from here. My vista can see my desktop, but it says i do not have permission... however, my XP does not seem to be able to pick up my vista? at one point my windows media player picked up the share but that was it. I have done other things but they dont seem to work.





please helpHow to share files between XP and vista?
I had this same exact issue where an xp machine could not share files with a win xp machine and got the run-around with the typical 15 steps to set it up. For some reason, when connections are set up in machines pre-loaded with Vista, the File and Printer Sharing checkbox within your internet connection does not get checked. Here is how you solve it:





1. On the Vista machine, go to: Start %26gt; Control Panel %26gt; Network Connections and Sharing


2. In the left nav, click ';Manage Network Connections';


3. Right click ';Wireless Network Connection'; and select ';Properties'; (if you are on a wireless connection from the laptop...I did not try this on a hardwired connection, but assume it would work the same if you right clicked ';Local Area Connection';).


4. Make sure the ';File and Printer Sharing...'; box is checked. If it is not and you check it, it should solve your problem.





I had this problem on a Lenovo Thinkpad and took a day to track this one down. Also, you may want to go to microsoft and download and install the LLTP Responder on your XP machines. I think it helps make things show up so you can click them rather than having to type ';\\my-computer-name';. You can find that here:





http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA%26amp;displaylang=en





Hope that works for you and ends the run-around. Oh, and one more thing, make sure that all of your workgroups are MSHOME on all the machines.





ScottHow to share files between XP and vista?
you need to install the LLTP (logical link transport protocol) on windows xp, You also need to enable file sharing on xp (print and file sharing etc...). reboot the xp box. After you do these two things.... You will be able to set up file shares, and share your printer(s) too. Download KB922120.

Report Abuse



On both machines set the same workgroup name, I think you have done that. Also when sharing you need to make them all changeable by others on the network. You may need to add an account in the same name on the remote machine as on the local, using the same password. If you are having trouble browsing, you need to go to tcp/ip properties on the connection, then click advanced and then the wins tab. Set always use netbios over tcp/ip and turn off use lmhosts. It may take 20 minutes or more for the machines to show in the browser.
When looking at PCs, you can only go down, i.e. Vista %26gt; XP, XP %26gt; WIN 98, e.t.c. e.t.c. In other words, you can only transfer files by using the higher up version of windows. have a desktop w/ Vista, a laptop w/ XP and I have to use my desktop to do any file transfer.
Ahhhh...another Vista victim;)
The previous post was in error.


You can network Vista and XP, but as usual, MS made it much harder than it should have been


MS changed the networking software for Vista, so unmodified XP machines do not show up on the Vista version of ';my computer';


To make it happen - go to the MS Knowledge base and search for articles on networking Vista. They will point you to a utility you must install on your XP machine so the Vista machine will see it.


Once that is done, the rest is the same - Make sure you are on the same work group, Make sure you have enabled file and print sharing and make sure the folders you want to share are set to ';share';





Of course, you can do yourself a favor and upgrade your Vista machine to XP - you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment