Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I add another PC to my wireless printer ?

my hubby %26amp; I just recently bought a Lexmark series 6500 4 in one printer/fax/copier/scanner for home use. We have wireless internet in the home. My laptop is set up to use the printer....no problems....we all have HPs....my Hubby has windows XP professional, one PC is windows XP for home use, and the other two are Windows Vista for home use.





the printer we don't have set up for faxing....just want to have all 4 able to use printer with wireless setup.





my Hubby wants to add his laptop, and then both my daughters' laptops so they all have use of the printer. Does the program that came with the printer for wireless installation have to be downloaded in each successive PC, or can it be done without the program since all four laptops are on the wireless network in our home (hope explained it understandably as I am computer terminology challenged lol)How do I add another PC to my wireless printer ?
some wireless routers/modems have printer sharing capabiilties, meaning u plug the printer into your router/modem then everyone on that network can access the printer. u wont need to install the software on every comp, but probably change some settings in both the router and the network comps





im kinda out of touch, but i remembered 1 bad thing about this is that u cant install software specific for the printer.. so that means it might be possible u cant copy/scan/fax.. i dont know maybe some routers now have better capabilities?How do I add another PC to my wireless printer ?
You can just add the printer to one of the computers, then share it on the network so that it can be accessed by all of the other computers. I would share it on one of the PCs so that it is always available, because if you share it from a laptop it cannot be accessed by the other computers when the laptop is on the network. Also the computer that is sharing the printer must be on and logged in for the printer to be accessible.
  • loan
  • microsoft
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment