Monday, August 16, 2010

My computer cant find my other computer on our home network.?

I have 3 computers set up on a home network.





Router connected to a Cable Modem.





Host: Connected to router by Ethernet cord.


Client A and B: Connected to router through by wireless.





The host(the one printer is connected to) is running XP


Client A- Windows Vista


Client B- Windows vista





Client A: can find client b and the host computer.(i added the printer off the host computer to client A and want to do so to b.)





Client B: Can find Client A but not the host client.





How come Client B cant find the host computer??





I want to connect client B to the printer set up on the host computer as i did with Client AMy computer cant find my other computer on our home network.?
Make sure both are in the same work group. Make sure print and file sharing is turned on for each PC, make sure each PC's firewall is set to allow print and file sharing.My computer cant find my other computer on our home network.?
Hi,





There are a few reasons this can happen. I will start with the most likely reason.





Vista requires a different level of security by default. You need to make sure that your XP computer and your Vista computer have the same credentials when you login. For instance, if I have a user name BOB on my XP computer with a Password as Password123, then I need to have the EXACT username and password on my Vista computer to make this seemless.





Once this happens, I can go to my Start button from either compter and put the UNC path \\computername\printername and access the computer.





If that does not work, then it is possible that you do not have the correct protocals installed in your network neighborhood. If you go to this area, you can use the help features that are very good.





If this does not work, then I suggest checking to see if your workgroup has the same name. This is generally not necessary, but could help in some scenarios. If you right click your computer or my computer icon, go to the computer name section, then you can check to see if your workgroup is the same.





If this does not work, then I would check to see if your IP address scheme is the same on your router. Sometimes, the wireless addresses are in a different scope than the wired addresses. This is checked in your router settings. Make sure that if your scope starts in wireless at 192.168.1.x, that your wired scope is in the same range 192.168.1.x Some routers make it so the range is not compatible.





Good luck with this one.
THEY PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK !!!
Are you using XP Home edition? If so you might want to check some technical forums since XP Home doesn't even like connecting to XP Pro in a consistent manner... let along Vista. Is there any way you can install Vista on the host PC?

No comments:

Post a Comment